03 May 2005

God Bless Texas

It seems the media has been having a field day recently documenting the woes of the National Guard and Reserves even coming close to meeting their recruitment goals. Well I have one word to shut up the mealy mouthed liberals that try to pass themselves off as objective journalists: TEXAS. It seems Texas exceeded its quota for recruits for this past year, in fact it exceeded the quota more than any other state in the country. Don't believe me? Then go check it out and see for yourself.

Why has this happened? Well as a native Texan I can tell you, some of the most intensely patriotic people I have ever met come from my home state. America has patriots everywhere, but in Texas and the South in general I usually find it more prevelant and more vocal. I remember sitting around the table at my Grandma's house and listening to my dad tell his stories about Vietnam, my Uncle Jimmy would talk about his service at NATO command in the 60's when it was still in France, and they would all tell me about my Dad's cousin Frank who spent 18 months in a North Korean Prisoner of War camp and most especially my Grandfather who had fought in the First World War in the trenches of France and had been wounded twice. I remember those stories and the effect they had on me, I joined the Army myself and spent several years there until I got out for personal reasons. I found a way to still serve though, I am currently a defense contractor with two tours of Iraq under my belt and I don't know if I will ever truly be happy in a job that isn't involved with the military.

So back to my original point, to those in the media who take joy in seeing the military have troubles in recruiting, I submit this as exhibit A, in Texas the fires of liberty still burn brightly in our sons and daughters. And as long as some are still willing to serve, our nation will be great.

God bless the brave men and women who serve in our armed forces no matter what state they are from, but to my fellow Texans in uniform, you have never made me more proud and I am proud to stand with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home